Friday, November 26, 2010

Why Canada...

Some brief history on me but I wont get into the massive long version only the recent events that has started me writing this blog and ending up in Canada. I have always been very passionate about riding bikes and always wanted to go to the mecca of bike riding, Pacific North West coast of British Columbia.

When a good friend of mine came back from there and told me all about it I knew it was a place I absolutely had to check out. So the decision was made I was going to Canada. Lucky for me at the time, the company I was working for over 3 years was offering voluntary redundancy packages and I would have been a fool not to take this opportunity to help me fund my trip. On top of this I also managed to secure a working holiday visa so everything was fitting into place.

I decided Whistler was gonna be the first stop and it ended up being pretty much the only stop! I loved it there, the riding was fantastic, the scenery was beautiful, the place surreal, the people where cool and friendly, the new friends I had met were awesome, everything about it screamed this is the place for me. And in time I learnt it was more the West coast than Whistler itself that I was actually attracted too but what was certain was I wanted to stay here in BC. The riding is one of the biggest attractions, fantastic trail networks, the massive support its given, the variety and level of difficulty thats out there, all the events, the people that are apart of the local scenes out here are just amazing and above all else is the spectacular beauty that you are riding in.

Coming here for two and half years I have got to explore the West coast gradually, learning different trails in different areas and regions and having spent a totally of three full Summer seasons including bits of Spring and Autumn I know my way around. Currently I'm here for my first Winter, its all very exciting, seeing all the snow and anticipating what its gonna be like to learn how to ski or board. Unfortunately I'm not working yet but I have a job and I'm just waiting with fingers crossed that the paperwork will come through, without this I cant begin work so its all up in the air for the moment. I recently passed my BC driving test so a couple more pieces are in place to help the transition go more smoothly. These days I'm living with my girlfriend in Squamish which is half way between Whistler and Vancouver, its a great town with a massive local riding scene and your nearly able to ride here all year round so its pretty sweet...

No comments:

Post a Comment